31st Society for Animation Studies conference
This year, complementing the 31st Society for Animation Studies conference taking place in Lisbon, we want to open a new forum of debate hosting practice-based Workshop sessions.
The aim of these Workshops is to advance existing and emerging areas of animation practice-research as a complement to the formats of the main conference program.
These will allow workshop presenters a different scope of action beyond the traditional conference format, with more freedom to stage structured interactions and collaborative processes, and to use more unconventional and experimental session formats.
Using the same thematic framework of the 2019 conference, Animation is a Place, and suggesting practice and theory as a reflection of its time and place, and a tool of cultural expression, we invite proposals for workshops that reflect on the themes of the conference through the making.
The workshops can be a way to share an ongoing research or invite participants to be part of it. We welcome varied proposals within the following topics:
- Specific aspect of making, methods, process, inventions to be tested
- Experimental teaching methods in different contexts, from universities to schools, communities or therapeutic places
- Specific moments of the animation process, such as writing, storyboarding, drawing, sound and composition
- Alternative methods or reflections on specific techniques; the use of techniques and tools, both contemporary and linked to the history of animation
- Different ways of collaborating in animation.
The workshops will be hosted by the Lusofona University. They will take place on the 17th of June, the first day of the Conference, and the maximum duration is 3 hours.
We invite proposals that have no costs in terms of materials and tools required, since the Conference can provide only space and basic equipment already in place.
Every submission (max 5000 words including references, max 5 MB) has to contain:
- theoretical background
- workshop description
- intended audience and max participants
- length of workshop (max time 4 hours)
- space and equipment required
- expected outcomes
- references & bibliography
- biography of the authors (max 250 words)
Please send your proposal to: firstname.lastname@example.org
All the above can be read and shared via the following link: http://sas2019.ulusofona.pt/
We look forward to receiving your proposals.
On behalf of the workshop and conference hosting team with best wishes
Elisa Bertolotti and Pedro Serrazina